Tuesday, July 28, 2009

BUFFALO

Last night, like almost all Sunday nights my family and I had a BBQ because what else is there to do in California during the summer months? My mother had picked up some buffalo burgers at Trader Joe’s but once my brother realized that there was 18 grams of fat in 1 patty, he said “no way in hell am I eating that.” I didn’t just want to eat the patty alone, so I took 6 of the patties (we got 2 boxes of 4 patties each) and doctored it up with some spices and vegetables. I remade the patties and my father expertly grilled them. We also made some chicken breasts for my brother with a Meyer lemon, white wine, and thyme marinade. Along with some roasted potatoes and a green salad, this Sunday Night Dinner turned out to be pretty scrumptious.

BUFFALO BURGERS:
6 patties of ground buffalo, estimating 1.5lbs, try and get leaner buffalo if possible
1 small onion, finely chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
4 roasted bell peppers, finely chopped (get them in the jar, way easier than roasting, sweating, and pealing your own)
1-2 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly cracked pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder
3 dashes or so of Worcestershire sauce
5-6 dashes of A1 Steak Sauce
½ tsp – 1 tsp of chili powder (recommendation: Gebhardt)
1 tsp dried thyme

Combine all ingredients and make 6 patties, let rest for a few minutes before grilling. Grill to medium and serve with goat cheese, sliced avocado, sliced red onion, and sliced roasted bell peppers on top. I usually eat this with a fork and knife, if you would like to accompany the burger with a bun, be my guest.

CHICKEN MARINADE:
Zest of ½ a lemon
½ cup of Meyer lemon juice
½ cup of white wine
¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp dried oregano
6 chicken breasts or thighs

Combine all with chicken and let marinade for at least 45 minutes room temperature. Grill and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment