Friday, April 22, 2011

Parsnip Puree

I learned how to make this dish from a friend of mine that is the executive Sous Chef at Volt in Frederick, MD.  He made this amazing dish of Seared Scallop over a Parsnip Puree with a Watercrest Salad.  It was one of the tastiest meals I've ever seen made at a small college kitchen.  After asking him how he made it, I was awed to learn that he boiled the parsnips in heavy cream and then pureed them.  As much as I love food, there are certain things that I won't indulge in, boiling anything in cream is one of them.  I figured I could use non-fat milk with a small slab of butter and result in something similar, I was happily surprised when my family and I had an Easter Dinner with Duck.

It tastes sweet, a bit nutty, and most defiantly creamy.  I add some nutmeg, salt and pepper to the parsnips and that's all you need.

Parsnip Puree:

4 parsnips, cut into 2 inch pieces
quart of skim milk, or 4 cups
1 - 2 tbsp butter
1 tsp - 1 tbsp salt and pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg

In a sauce pan, add everything and turn on the heat.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.  Cook for about 20 minutes, until the parsnips are tender.  Then use a spider (or a slotted spoon) and put all the parsnips in a blender or food processor.  Add a bit (maybe half a cup) of the cooking liquid and puree.  You may need to add more or less liquid depending on how you would like your consistency, should resemble a more liquidy mashed potatoes.  Taste and adjust for seasoning.  Serve warm!

*You can top with parmesan cheese and chopped parsley as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment