Monday, February 14, 2011

St. Valentine's Filet Mignon

The boy and I are going to Sociale on actual Valentine's Day.  However, all wouldn't be right in Whoville if I wasn't able to cook him a meal for Valentine's Day.  I figured some steak would be a great jumping off point to start planning our menu.  I created this marinade a log time ago and LOVE it!  It makes the beef slightly sweet and tangy but always tender.  Let marinade for at least 2 hours before cooking.

Since it is Valentine's Day, this post is dedicated to the boy.  He puts up with me, my family, my lack of know right from left when driving, and my snoring at night. 


Marinated Filet Mignon:

2 Filet mignons
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup dry white wine
splash Tabasco
zest and juice of 1 orange
zest and juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp. brown sugar or some honey
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 shallot, roughly chopped into a few pieces
1 knob of ginger, roughly chopped
1 scallion, roughly chopped
1/2 jalapeno, roughly chopped
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
bunch of cilantro or parsley (optional)
1 tsp. - 1 tbsp. canola oil

Put all ingredients (minus the oil) in a zip lock bag and marinate for a few hours, or overnight.  Let come to room temperature when ready to cook.

Preheat oven to 375 F.  Heat a pan to medium high, add oil.  When the oil is hot, sear the meat on both sides for about 4 minutes.  Pop in the oven for 5-10 min.  Take out when medium rare.  Serve with a baked potato and some vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment